Get Insights For Michigan Car Accidents From Kajy Law
Michigan Car Accident Attorneys
Understand Michigan Car Accident Statistics
Car accidents in Michigan happen every single day. Some are just fender-benders while others can permanently alter a life. The Michigan State Police published a Statewide Traffic Crash Data Year End Report that reveals trends surrounding Michigan car accidents.
Statistics Surrounding Car Accidents in Michigan
- Traffic crashes in Michigan increased by 15% in 2021 over the prior year for a total of 282,640. Among those accidents, 71,466 involved an injury.
- The most common month for a crash to take place is November with 30,666 taking place in this month. Friday has the most crashes of the entire week, with 46,614 on that day. 3 p.m.-5:59 p.m. is the most dangerous time to drive a car, with 62,881 crashes occurring during this period of the day.
- The most common person to be injured is by far the driver of a vehicle, with 49,863 drivers injured in 2021.
- There were 103,735 single motor vehicle traffic crashes, which were the most common type of crash.
- Drivers being unable to stop cause the most traffic crashes, with 56,146 accidents attributed to this hazardous action.
- With 172,688 crashes taking place on roads and city streets, these are the most common trafficway for a car crash to occur in Michigan.
- Wayne County had 50,490, which is the most crashes of any Michigan county.
- Alcohol was involved in 9,557 Michigan crashes, and the most common month for this to take place was October with 970 incidents. The most common age bracket involved with alcohol-related crashes was 35-34.
- 2,999 drug-involved traffic crashes occurred in 2021 in Michigan, with May having the most of these crashes. Again, the most common age bracket involved with these types of crashes were those age 25-34.
- Distracted driving resulted in 16,543 crashes, with activity taking place inside the vehicle being the most common cause of distractions that lead to car accidents.
- 1,248 bicyclists were involved in a car accident, with September being the most dangerous month to ride a bike, Tuesday being the most dangerous day of the week, and 3 p.m.-5:59p.m. being the most dangerous time of day.
- There were 1,790 pedestrians involved in crashes in 2021 in Michigan. October was the worst month, Tuesday was the most common day, and 6 p.m.-8:59 p.m. was the worst time of day for these types of accidents.
- More motorcycles were involved in accidents in 2021 than the previous five years, with 3,175 motorcycle-involved crashes. July was the most dangerous month to ride a motorcycle, Saturday the most dangerous day, and 3 p.m.-5:59 p.m. the most dangerous time of day.
Statistics Surrounding Traffic Fatalities in Michigan
- Fatal traffic crashes in Michigan increased by 4% in 2021 for a total of 1,068.
- The deadliest month is August with 124 crashes taking place in this month. Saturday has the most fatalities of the entire week, with 182 occuring on that day. 6 p.m.-8:59 p.m. is the deadliest time to drive a car, with 211 fatal crashes occurring during this period of the day.
- The most common person to be killed is by far the driver of a vehicle, with 574 drivers killed in 2021.
- There were 532 fatal single motor vehicle crashes, which were the most common type of fatal traffic crash.
- The State Trunkline Highway System saw the most fatalities with 245 fatal crashes, which is the most common trafficway for a fatal car crash to occur in Michigan.
- Wayne County had 202 fatal crashes, the highest number of fatal crashes of any Michigan county.
- Alcohol was involved in 336 fatal Michigan crashes in 2021.
- 259 fatal drug-involved traffic crashes occurred in 2021 in Michigan.
- Distracted driving resulted in 59 fatal crashes, with activity taking place outside the vehicle being the most common cause of distractions that lead to fatal car accidents.
- 29 bicyclists were involved in a fatal car accident.
- There were 182 pedestrians involved in fatal crashes in 2021.
- More motorcycles were involved in accidents in 2021 than the previous five years, with 166 motorcyclists killed.
Get Experienced Legal Help From Our Michigan Auto Accident Lawyers
These Michigan car accident statistics reveal how drivers, passengers, pedestrians, bicyclists, and motorcyclists are the victims of accidents.
Kajy Law has helped thousands of Michigan residents take control of their lives after a car accident. By using our dedicated legal teams to help clients deal with the complicated judicial system, we’ve helped Michigan car accident victims get the care they need now and the financial compensation they deserve for their injury, pain, and suffering.
Michigan Car Accident Attorneys With Proven Success
Each year, our Michigan car accident team wins millions of dollars for our clients who have been involved in car accidents. Let us help you win your case and maximize your settlement. Contact us today to get started.